Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Walking to Oregon, Week 1

My first Tuesday blogging about my great walk to Oregon.  Since I started on Saturday, this one won't be as impressive, since I'm only on my fourth day.  But since Saturday I've walked 15 miles:
Saturday: 5 miles
Sunday: 2 miles
Monday: 4 miles
Today so far: 4 miles.


View Larger Map

According to Google maps, I've walked through Fort Worth, TX and have just about made it to Melody Hills, TX.  There's not really much there and not many photos on the internet so I've included a few photos of Fort Worth from Panoramio: 

 

 

Some facts about Fort Worth Texas (according to Wikipedia):

  • founded in 1849
  • approx. 700,000 people in Ft Worth as of 2008
  • 17th largest city in the nation
  • coldest month in January (average high 54)
  • hottest month in July (average high 96)
  • has three entertainment districts: Sundance Square, Stockyards National Historic District, and Fort Worth Cultural District, along with a zoo, botanical gardens, and Texas Christian University
I have 194 miles to go to get to Oklahoma City and I've already gained my first blister.  Two things would be extremely helpful right now: anti-blister socks and a treadmill.  I might go on the hunt for socks today, but the treadmill will have to wait.  :-)  I don't think I've ever walked 15 miles in one week let alone four days.

I haven't lost any weight yet though.  Three people have told me I'm gaining muscle? We'll see.    

I also decided I will only update my ticker on blogging days so that it's a little more exciting to see how many miles have been accomplished over the week.  And I will be weighing myself once a month, especially initially because I don't want to drive myself crazy with the scale and get discouraged.  It's not about the scale.  It's about feeling better about myself and getting to Oregon.  So the first blog of each month I will include pounds lost. 

Now I'm off to vacuum, dust, and clean my kitchen. For months I've been using a hardwood floor vacuum all over the house, very tiny and inconvenient, but yesterday I got a big girl vacuum so I'm actually excited to vacuum.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment