Friday, October 23, 2009

A Call to Holiness

As I read Psalm 106 recently, I turned it into a prayer for my life: 

Lord, may I not grumble in my promised land, lacking the faith to see Your promises.  May I not murmer and refuse to obey Your voice.  If Your hand is on my life and I am obedient, help me to know there is a plan and a purpose for every season.  Let me not forget Your wondrous works Lord or forget to wait on Your counsel.  May I never exchange the glory of God to worship an idol of my own making.  May I not cause my brothers and sisters in Christ anger, causing them to stumble or act rashly.  May I not exasperate and frustrate the leaders You place above me, like the people of Israel frustrated Moses, becoming a stumbling block for him.  Lord, may I not ever tolerate sin in any proportion in my life, lest my righteousness be compromised, my standard shifted so that I come to say, "That's okay. God won't mind." For You do mind, God.  Because coddling that little sin creates a monster, a weed that refuses to be moved, a fire ant hill that is hard to completely destroy.  And Your Word says you "abhorred" Your heritage when they allowed the sin of other nations to become their own. 
Thank you, God, that even so, You heard Israel's cry for help.  And that You hear me in my times of distress, even when it is because of my own doing; You remember Your covenant with me and relent according to the abundance of Your steadfast love.  Let Your day come quickly God and gather us from the nations, to surround Your throne and cry Holy, Holy, Holy. 

I pray that this will be your prayer too. 

No comments:

Post a Comment