Friday, January 8, 2010

Does Shivering Burn Calories??

Okay, so I know I said I was only going to blog about my little adventure on Tuesdays, but I'm changing that.  I will blog when I reach a major city or whenever I just need to vent or need encouragment.  Randomly.  Because it's funner (more fun?) that way.  "Funner" is incorrect, I know.  My English degree did indeed teach me something. But "Funner" is a more fun word to write and rolls off the tongue.  And besides, I learned in Linguistics that created words and slang are still English, and "proper" English is arguable.  And Shakespeare did it, and look at how famous his works are now!  Sorry, rambling....

I have walked 28 miles in one week, my first week.  And I must say, I am tired. 

Obstacle #1: I developed a blister on the ball of my foot that created a limp.  So I dealt with it, but walking was hard.  So, on day 5 I went to get shoes because my feet were killing me.  I stepped on a machine that told me where pressure was and where my feet were fatigued, and the whole foot lit up!  Ouch!

So my feet are much happier.  :-)

Obstacle #2: It is freezing, literally, outside.  It's been hitting the teens at night and twenties during the day, with a wind chill of below zero.  I tried walking in it yesterday at Veteran's Park, with 3 layers of clothing, gloves, scarf, and hat.  But I felt really heavy which made me really tired and my face was wind chapped afterward.  But I walked 5 miles in it.  And I couldn't wait to go to bed last night and getting up this morning was really hard. 

So, today I just couldn't make myself face the wind again.  Brrr....

And I had intentions to walk at the mall, but it didn't happen.  Then, I remembered.  My mom gave me a Leslie Sansone video, Walk Slim: 4 Fast Miles! , so I popped it in and tried it.  It wasn't as interesting as walking outside, and she gets a little giddy at times, and I get a little uncoordinated at times, but it was fast and charted the miles for me.  It even included jogging for short intervals.  So, today I did 4 miles, again. In 45 minutes. 

Go me!!  I feel accomplished that despite hurting feet and nature's plan to thwart me, I stuck it out.  Haha, nature! Take that!

And I will be updating my ticker daily because it makes me happy.  And that's what matters.  And it keeps you on your toes, checking in on me and keeping me accountable! :-)

And tomorrow I 'm having taco soup for dinner and friends over to eat it with us. 

I am content. 

1 comment:

  1. i'm sooo proud of you and i get excited reading your stuff and when you update with me. doesn't that sound AWESOME when you say you've walked 28 miles?!?!?! WOW i was thinking maybe we should walk towards eachother to speed things up? LOL in the past week i've walked and ran more than ever before too, either 1.5 miles or .5 miles everyday....i'm doing cardio tho not walking. but when i say OH i've done like 10 miles sounds stupid compared to your 28 LOL GREAT JOB Ambre i love you!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete